The unit on quadratics was one of my favourite topics in high school, so I was amazed to learn that it has such a rich history spanning centuries and continents. I was fortunate to explore the topic geometrically, using algebra tiles, which mirrored the methods described by Al-Khwarizmi in his book Al-Jabr. This hands-on approach made the process ofcompleting the square much more tangible, and I was excited to share this activity with others. I feel that textbooks often overlook this intuitive way of visualizing completing the square, and focus strictly on the algebra, which is why many students struggle. Like several other topics we have discussed in class, there is controversy over who should be credited with the quadratic formula. However, unlike a theorem like the Pythagorean theorem, I am pleased the formula in the West is named for its application rather than after a person. This, however, is not the case in other parts of the world. We saw with countries like India and Brazil, the formula is named after specific mathematicians.
Watching the other presentations, I noticed that the issue of giving proper credit and the controversies surrounding it was a recurring theme across many of the topics. However, I think Caris summed it up beautifully by suggesting that, rather than getting caught up in the debate over who should be acknowledged, we should focus on celebrating the discoveries and advancements these concepts bring to society as a whole. I was also struck by the variety of roles that mathematicians used to occupy. Many of the individuals highlighted were not just mathematicians, but also scholars, philosophers, and artists, among other things. However, I find that I have compartmentalized mathematics into its separate category, distinct from other disciplines. Thus, I wonder how I might challenge my stereotype and celebrate mathematicians as multifaceted individuals with a range of identities.
This was a great project, and I appreciate the depth and breadth of your reflections on so many aspects of it! I applaud Caris' (and your) ideas about celebrating new developments and concepts for their contributions to the whole community/ society, rather than artificially glorifying one individual. Isn't it fascinating the way that mathematicians were also philosophers, poets, scientists, artists, etc. in earlier times? I hope we can come back to seeing people as multifaceted and allowing for everyone to bring together insights from more than one field of endeavour!
ReplyDelete